Thursday, July 20, 2017
Wednesday, July 19, 2017
I've painted all of the new Death Guard models, so while waiting for more releases, I decided to paint up the original plague drone. I much prefer this model to the new one. Perhaps I should have used the same painting techniques. Once the protective coat of lacquer dries I'll be able to start working the flesh portions. Those will build from purple all the way to skin color. This model will probably look out of place in my army, but so be it. It is a blast to paint.
1) Spray model with various rust colors
2) Spray flesh purple.
3) Lacquer the model.
4) Spray several coats of chipping fluid
5) Paint the model normally
6) Using a wet brush agitate off the painted surface to reveal the rust beneath.
7) Lacquer the model.
Tuesday, July 18, 2017
I've run out of Pox Walkers to paint. Whatever shall I do? :)
I am having so much fun with the Death Guard. I massively over weathered these guys, but since I enjoyed every moment doing it, it was worth it!
Monday, July 17, 2017
Friday, July 14, 2017
After figuring out how to make mud, and basing all of the Death Guard, it came time to tackle the Pox Walkers. I knew I needed a speedy way to paint these guys since I have even more coming. The method I settled on is fast. I also think it is visually effective. Once these guys are based and standing near the pale green marines the real look of the army can be seen. Now the pox walkers are fantastic models, but I didn't want any one model to stand out too much. To accomplish this I heavily limited my palette, and use heavy successive washes to darken the lower half of each model.
I have to give thanks to Roman Lappat over at Massive Voodoo. His speed painting zombies class gave me the basic idea which I then modified to include much more airbrushing.
Wednesday, July 12, 2017
I experimented today making mud and rusty barbed wire bases for my Death Guard project. My first attempt included adding realistic water tinted yellow to all of the likely areas to have pooled water. That proved to be too busy, so I removed the water and stuck with varying browns and oranges. The edges aren't cleaned up, but I think when they are these will look pretty good. They contrast really nicely with the cool greens and purples already on the models. I'll base most of the models in place, rather than making the bases separately. However once I do that there is no turning back.