Friday, December 25, 2009

Speed Basing!











I had not planned to post again this year, since I am traveling and will not be home till the new year, but I could not resist one more. I figure a lot of people out there are speed building armies right now. Since I just sped through a bunch of basing, I thought I should share. This time around I went for a darker look. As usual I started with a bunch of sand, broken tank bits, and little squares of plastic cut with regular old scissors. Once the glue had set I primed the bases black with a lot of primer. Don't skimp here because the paint helps the base stay together. I then took a tank sized drybrush and mixed up some deheneb stone and chaos black to form a dirty grey color. I used this liberally over all of the bases, following up with a very heavy wash of devlan mud. The final part is my favorite technique right now. I use Tamiya Acrylic Thinner X-20A to make a very transparent blazing orange wash. Then just cover each ruined machinery bit and a few random spots with it. It is possible to knock out a whole army's worth of bases in an afternoon if you assembly line the process. I did steal my wife's hairdryer to speed the process along!
Happy basing, and happy holidays!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome looking bases!
    I may be stealing your scheme for my poor unbased 5000 points of marines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This colour scheme & technique might just be what I've been looking for, for my Plague Marines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This maybe a dumb question but what type of glue do you use to glue the minis to the base?

    ReplyDelete