Sunday, April 4, 2010

Death Company Rhino PT3: Let there be dust

I think this think is good enough to see some action now. I am not sure I like the dust as much as the pre-dusted version, but it does serve to tie the painted areas together. I guess it works like a wash in that sense. I was nervous about starting some of these models because they have FW parts and it was easier to justify waiting to paint them until I was a little better. I'll never get better unless I paint right.

So will this ever see battle? Are death company worth fielding? I can't think of any other way to field them than drop pods or rhinos. I think they look cool, so that's good enough for me.


7 comments:

  1. Half the height for the dust would have been perfect but it looks really good as is too.

    A tutorial on how to get this effect would be so good.. I plan to build 2 Rhinos and 2 Razorbacks soon and I wouldn't mind adding some dust to it (not mud, but this dust effect is great). I'd probably just keep it limited to slightly above the tracks though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is a good idea. I'll do a before and after on the inquisitional rhino. I've got a squad of assault marines being painted right now, that have sort of stolen my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a proper tank now :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. DC are worth it, you just have to use them properly. if you use a rhino, it means they essentially ignore rage, and you can gun it 18" in the first turn, only downside is you cant assault the turn you get out
    if you use hem with JPs, then deep strike them behind cover so they aren't in LOS of anything, negating rage, so they can then pick and choose a target
    also always take a power fist or thunder hammer, just in case you end up in combat with something you cant kill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, altho id agree with the half height comment in general this looks grand as is, how did you do the dust and what colours did you you? Cheers, chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used chaos black as a base, then then mixed in some grey and dusted the model. For the dirt it was snakebite leather dusted on, and then another dust using bleached bone mixed right into wet air brush paint pot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your Rhino looks great. I am dying for an opportunity to play again having looked at your minis here.

    ReplyDelete