Thursday, April 26, 2012

Wolves






Long before the new running wolves came out for the Space Wolves, I purchased a bunch of what were labeled wolves on the GW site. It turns out they are mounts for goblins I think, and have piggish features. However odd the sculpts were, they are excellent test models for Thunderwolf cavalry which is built and ready to be be painted. Having never painted dogs/wolves before, I did a little research and found a video for painting wolves up on buypainted. I think the link was youtube, but whatever the case, you are pointed in the right direction. These wolves took very little work with the help of the airbrush. The thing to note is that while the colors are a little off due to morning photography, the wolves looked much better prior to adding washes to them. I think 50% is the new 100%, and 25% is the new 50%. The washes glazed the model rather than stay in the recesses, which would be nice if I were worried about pooling, but alas, I am not.

Grey Wolf Recipe

  • Base color: Eshin Grey
  • Top color: Abbadon Black
  • Belly color: Fenrisian Grey
  • Nuln Oil 50% strength wash over full model

Tan Wolf Recipe

  • Base color: XV88
  • Top color: Rhinox
  • Belly color: Baneblade 
  • Agrax Earthshade 50% strength wash over full model
  • Light dusting on the feet and nose of ushabi bone

Brown Wolf Recipe
  • Tan Wolf Recipe
  • Base color: XV88
  • Top color: Rhinox
  • Belly color: Baneblade 
  • Agrax Earthshade 50% strength wash over full model
  • Light dusting on the feet and nose of ushabi boneAgrax Earthshade 100% strength wash over full model

I am out of test models now, so short of dunking these in simple green, I may just start on the big daddies themselves. That is of course unless anyone knows of other tutorials I should watch, or other material I should read before I paint these wolves up.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work there!

    I have a few of those too, and I picked up a box of chaos warhounds that I was working on converting. I had sidelined the project mainly because they didin't fit in my army transport. Now these new ones have come out and I think "Yuck".

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete